Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Teachers & Technology Networking

Technology has come such a long way within the last 20 years. In fact, technology makes leaps and bounds with it's capabilities every year. I worked in retail sales for Sprint about a year ago, one thing that I caught onto is that the phones would be outdated and "old" in a matter of 6 months. When a new phone would come out, it was the newest and hottest thing on the market for a total of 3 months. After 6 months the phone was usually no longer exciting, because several other new phones have over shadowed it's capabilities. When I was in college my second year, I thought it was amazing that my parents got a cell phone for me. Now, it is common for middle school students to have mobile phones. My professor Dr. Zeitz, informed my emerging technology class that there are schools that now require all students to have mobile phones in order to enroll in classes.

http://www.mobile-weblog.com/ Demonstrates and gives examples of new mobile technology for users. It is updated by users on a regular basis, interesting examples are:
Being able to translate languages from your smart phone.
Being able to watch surveillance footage from your phone.
Being able to unlock your keybox from your phone (for realastate).
All of there examples don't have to do with education, but I thought they were interesting.

2 comments:

Dr. Z said...

Phones are having a drastic impact and will continue to have impact on our society and education. You may remember that what I said about schools requiring phones was not original but from the Horizon Report reading.

I was looking for some instances about using phones for translating. Can you find more about this?

Sal said...

Dr. Z., There is PDA and Windows software that allows you to type in sentences and words from another language and it can be automatically translated in your phone. You select what language you want to enter, and what language you want the information translated to. This was a selling tool that bilingual sales clerks would use for the Windows 6700 PDA phone at Sprint. It was geared towards business and professionals, but you can take note of the education value that can be applied to it's capability.