Monday, September 24, 2007

Google Body?


Students at the University of Stanford and NASA have teamed up to build a virtual tour and look inside of the human body. The way that this procedure works is looking at the body from a 3-dimensional perspective, it was originally designed for medical students to become more comfortable with working on "virtual" patients before they start working on actual people. The project has developed an interest with merging with Google (as if google doesn't already run the virtual world), but the merger would be similar to Google Maps only a look inside the human form. Take a look at the link to read up on the procedure. The date listed is from June of 2007, but I caught this story on the Channel 7 news on Friday night. I decided to "Google" the title of the story and this was one of the first hits that came back lol. It is the same program, so review and let me know what you think if interested. Click here to view the article.

2 comments:

Sarah Schutte said...

What's going on? I am pretty excited you blogged about this! I hadn't heard about it, but I'm really excited that this is up and coming. Google maps and other online features such as this can serve some really useful purposes. I kinda have a weird obsession with science related to the body, so this was an exciting find! I also am sort of a hypocondriac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochondria) so this site will get used ALOT by me! Have you ever used WebMD's symptom checker? Give it a go sometime. I wonder if online tools such as this will collaborate in the future?

Sal said...

I'm glad that my post caught your eye, I agree that this will be a very useful tool in the future. It will provide good virtual training for future doctors in training, and also for hypochondriac's !lol I've never used the symptom checker, I should check it out since I'd rather look up my illness then go to the hospital. I think there will be a lot of collaboration on this topic in the future, technology always provides that option.